Oh, hey. Sorry it’s been a while. I’m extremely happy to be writing this post, though – a. because it means New Year’s Eve is coming up which means 2016 is on its way out (good riddance, amiright?) and b. because the fact that I’m able to look at my computer for long periods of time means the alcohol I consumed on Christmas day with my family has finally left my system.
New Year’s Eve is a weird “holiday”. I put holiday in quotes because, really, it’s just the last day of the last month of the year and we’ve made it into this big thing. I feel like there’s a lot of pressure to make New Year’s Eve special. People are always asking what other people’s plans are for New Year’s Eve, just so they can talk about the super cool thing they’re doing. Maybe I feel this way because I’m an introverted homebody and would much rather get cRuNk at home and watch the fireworks and ball drop from the comfort of my own home. I wanted to write a post about New Year’s Eve makeup ideas for everyone, not just those going to swanky parties, and rubbing elbows and making champagne toasts with the social elite.
1. Staying In
Whether you’re staying in with family, a couple friends, a loved one, or by yourself, I think it’s nice to get a little dolled up for the new year. Try keeping it simple and fresh, with a bold lip and a little extra oomph for your lashes.
1. L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation ($12.99) – Use a more lightweight foundation for a more natural, glowy look. This foundation has great coverage and a natural finish.
2. NYX Dewy Finish Makeup Setting Spray ($7.99) – Once you’re finished with your makeup, give your face a spritz with a dewy finish setting spray. A setting spray will help lock everything in and make it last while keeping the look radiant and glowy.
3. Stila Eyeshadow in Kitten ($18) – Using a shimmery light eyeshadow all over the lid will instantly make you look awake and fresh. Kitten from Stila is a shimmery nude pink, and the formula of the shadow itself is highly pigmented and buttery. Sweep a little bit of shadow on the inner part of your lower lash line for an even brighter look. Insider secret – use this shadow as a cheek highlight, too. You’re welcome.
4. NARS The Multiple in Orgasm ($39) – Sweep a peachy-pink blush on the cheeks for a natural flush. The Multiple in Orgasm from NARS is an excellent option. It is a cream-to-powder finish, and adds just a hint of color and shimmer. You can also use this product on the lips if you want something more natural.
5. Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color in Cinnamon Spice ($2.19) – Everything else about this look is very bright and fresh, so pairing a bold lip with it will bring the bit of drama required for New Year’s Eve. Cinnamon Spice from Wet n Wild is a gorgeous burgundy at an even more gorgeous price.
6. Ardell Individuals ($1.99) – Individual lashes are a great way to add a little extra drama to the eyes without being too crazy. You can customize the lashes the way you want – I like to add a little extra length and volume to the outer part of my natural lashes.
Maybe you’re hosting a New Year’s Eve party (bless your soul). Maybe you’re going to a friend’s party. Maybe you’re being dragged to your significant other’s co-worker’s house party. Whatever party you’re going to, you know there will be a lot of mingling, a lot of pictures, and a lot of booze. I’m a big fan of a classic smoky eye for New Year’s Eve, so let’s run with that and make sure you look picture perfect all night, shall we?
1. Make Up Forever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation ($43) – Choosing the right foundation for the right event can be tricky. I’ve learned the hard way that when you know you’re going to be taking a lot of pictures, you need to choose a foundation that is SPF-free to prevent flashback. The Ultra HD foundation from MUFE is one of my favorites to wear for pictures. It’s lightweight, has amazing coverage and photographs like a dream.
2. NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean ($4.49) – To ensure your smoky eye lasts all night, use a black base over your eyeshadow primer. I love the Jumbo Eye Pencils from NYX, but any cream shadow or gel liner will do.
3. Urban Decay Naked Smoky Palette ($54) – I’m a huge fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. This palette has every shade you need to create the perfect smoky eye. Placing the eyeshadow over the black eyeshadow base is going to intensify and make the look more dramatic instantly. Make sure to utilize the highlight colors on the brow bone and inner corner.
4. MAC Blush in Peaches ($23) – With a dramatic smoky eye I like to keep it simple on the cheeks and lips. To avoid stealing the spotlight from your eyes, stick to a peachy nude blush.
5. Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in White Russian ($20) – This lip cream complements a dark smoky eye perfectly. It’s a pink, creamy nude with no shimmer or glitter – just shine. They’re plumping and moisturizing, and super easy to re-apply, so even after a couple (cough cough) drinks, you’ll continue to look fly.
6. KoKo Goddess Lashes ($6.99) – You don’t want to go through all that work for a perfect smoky eye only to have your lashes disappear, so glamorous falsies are practically a necessity. The KoKo Goddess lashes add just the right amount of glam without being overly dramatic. They’re really similar to the Iconic lashes from House of Lashes, for a fraction of the price.
3. Night Out
I know some of you are trying to turn up for New Year’s Eve. I can hardly believe it, but I’m trying to turn up this year. My boyfriend and I are going to see one of our favorite DJ duos (Yellow Claw) and spending the night in Seattle. If you’re going to be spending New Year’s Eve in a dark club dancing (and sweating) the night away, you want to add some extra sparkle and make sure your makeup is bulletproof.
1. Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation ($35) – When planning a night out, I like to apply a heavy-duty foundation (after primer, of course) that can stand up to sweat and dancing in close quarters with others. Kat Von D’s Lock-It Foundation is about as full coverage as a foundation can get, and claims to last up to 24 hours. This foundation is also photo-friendly and will not have a white cast in pictures taken with flash, so go ahead and take those selfies.
2. Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner in Midnight Cowboy ($20) – In a nightclub or any other similarly dark and sexy setting, you can go as dramatic as you want with your eye makeup. Especially on New Year’s Eve. Try topping your lid color with glitter for maximum sparkle impact. This eyeliner makes applying glitter a breeze – the brush is small enough to create a precise line, but can also be used to apply glitter all over the lid without fallout.
3. Makeup Geek Eyeshadows in Creme Brûlée, Mocha and Corrupt ($6 each) – Neutral matte eyeshadows will help complete the sparkly eye look. Makeup Geek makes some of the best and affordable shadows around. Try applying a warm brown (Mocha) to the crease, a light sand color above it (Creme Brûlée), and a black (Corrupt) to the outer V for some dimension. Use the same shades to smoke out the lower lash line.
4. Laura Geller Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator in Gilded Honey ($26) – You didn’t think I was going to write an entire post about New Year’s Eve makeup without including a highlighter, did you? Everyone loves this highlighter, and for good reason. It’s buttery, pigmented, and it can be seen from outer space (this is a scientific fact). Pair this golden highlight with a bronzey nude blush (or just bronzer) for a nice warm glow.
5. Lilly Lashes in Delara ($24.99) – Let’s crank the lashes up a notch or 12. The Delara style from Lilly Lashes are thick and dramatic. The faux mink and invisible band make these lashes extremely luxurious and fantastic for a night out.
6. Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Honeycomb ($26) – As with the party look I put together, I like to opt for a nude lip when sporting a smokey eye or glitter (or in this case, both). Honeycomb from Bite Beauty is the perfect beige nude and the Amuse Bouche formula is moisturizing and comfortable.
I hope you found this post helpful, and found some inspiration for your New Year’s Eve look no matter what your plans are! I’ll upload a post with my actual New Year’s look – I think it’s going to be a combination of #2 and #3. Let me know what your plans are and if you’ve got a makeup look or outfit in mind in the comments.